In This Article
In 2023, about 6.8 billion smartphone users are recorded, which means 80% of the world’s population is using smartphones. Another research has revealed that 70% of digital media time is spent on smartphones in the US. Among these smart devices, Android is the preferred one for its easy integration and open-source abilities than other OS. Businesses cannot afford to neglect this huge amount of mobile usage as they have to connect with their people directly. They use mobile devices in businesses to optimize work by automating calculations, strengthening communications, and easing data storage and access.
Contrarily, these devices pose a significant impact on business reputation if not managed properly. Unauthorized access, uncontrolled data sharing, unlimited data usage, and manual maintenance increase threats to data and costs. These factors affect the overall performance of businesses and result in great losses. Businesses need to incorporate mobile device management solutions to streamline operations and control devices on low budgets.
Mobile Device Management & Android Enterprise Management
Mobile Device Management (MDM) is a software solution that allows IT administrators to manage and control mobile devices such as smartphones, tablets, and laptops. MDM solutions can be used to manage both company-owned and employee-owned devices.
Remote Management for Android Devices for Businesses, also known as Android Enterprise Management (AEM), is a set of tools and capabilities that allow businesses to manage their Android devices remotely. This includes the ability to:
- Enroll and configure devices
- Deploy and manage apps
- Secure devices and data
- Monitor device usage and performance
- Troubleshoot and resolve device issues
AEM solutions can be used to manage both company-owned and employee-owned Android devices. This is especially important for businesses with a mobile workforce, as it allows IT administrators to support and manage devices even when they are not on the company network.
AEM Benefits For Businesses
Some of the benefits of using AEM include:
- Increased security: AEM solutions can help businesses protect their devices and data from unauthorized access and malware infection.
- Reduced costs: AEM solutions can help businesses to reduce the costs associated with IT support and device maintenance.
- Improved productivity: AEM solutions can help businesses improve employee productivity by providing them with the tools and resources they need to work effectively on their mobile devices.
There are several different AEM solutions available on the market, each with its unique features and capabilities. When choosing an AEM solution, businesses should consider their specific needs and requirements.
Example Use cases
Here are some examples of how businesses can use AEM:
- A retail company can use AEM to manage the point-of-sale devices used by its cashiers.
- A transportation company can use AEM to manage the GPS devices used by its drivers.
- A healthcare company can use AEM to manage the tablets used by its nurses and doctors.
- A financial services company can use AEM to manage the smartphones used by its sales representatives.
Overall, AEM is a powerful tool that can help businesses to manage their Android devices more effectively and securely.
AirDroid Business Mobile Device Management (MDM)
AirDroid Business is one of the leading software solutions for MDM. It helps organizations with Android device usage to manage and control their devices remotely from a central location. It is a user-friendly software with a single admin console to monitor all devices and control the security by complying with industry standards. It offers flexible pricing and is highly scalable. Here are some of the features of Airdroid mobile device management.
Remote control and access
AirDroid Business enables enterprises to perform actions on enrolled both attended and unattended devices remotely. They can access controls and cameras for the devices and can also take screenshots. And turn on the Black Screen Mode can protect the device’s data security.
Allow enterprises to manage business apps and also Google Play Store’s apps. With the test releases feature, admins can ensure apps installed on official devices are bugs-free. What’s more, you can remotely install and uninstall apps on devices and restrict employees from installing or removing the app without permission.
Secure policy and kiosk mode
Using single-app kiosk mode, businesses may provide their consumers with an interactive display for making orders, performing transactions, and other operations. By adjusting device settings and constraints such as Wi-Fi settings, app allowlist and blocklist, password settings, and device limitations, companies can lower the chance of security issues.
Simplify enrollment process
Assists beginners in automating device management by enrolling a large fleet of devices at the same time and setting each device with a pre-defined set of policies and applications. It alleviates the stress and workload of manually configuring each corporate device.
Five Tips for Managing Android Remotely with MDM Solution
Here are five tips that every enterprise needs to follow for better management and utilization of devices in businesses.
1. Enable Remote Monitoring and Troubleshooting
Use the remote monitoring feature of AirDroid Business MDM to monitor each device’s real-time activities and history of device usage to track it. You can remotely perform actions like file sharing or copy-paste any file on unattended devices.
Being an admin, remotely access the device camera and see the surroundings to check the activities of employees during working hours. You can also remotely rotate the screen, switch the front or rear cameras, and adjust the image quality using MDM.
Allow the technical team to remotely access devices available at multiple workstations and control them to diagnose the issues and troubleshoot them in little time. Remote troubleshooting saves precious time and ensures continuity of work.
Enable Black Screen Mode to prevent unnecessary usage or unauthorized access; it will make devices unable to be used for end-users with a display that the device is under maintenance.
2. Regularly Update and Patch Android Devices:
Create a private app store with AirDroid Business to manage enterprise-owned devices. Customize the app store with your brand theme. You can also use policy and kiosk settings to manage enterprise apps and Google Play Store apps.
Use MDM to schedule updates on devices to keep the devices operational during working hours. Auto-update of devices with scheduling wastes working hours when they start. Prefer to schedule the update time at night when devices are free. Schedule device updates in various stages so the update failure won’t affect the whole system.
Enable the force installation feature of MDM to ensure the devices are timely updated even when left unattended. It helps to release or update apps on enrolled devices before they get outdated.
3. Remote-Wipe Security Application
Use location-tracking features for transportation, logistics, delivery, and other purposes. It will help administrators to track the location of employees when they are in the field and to update the accurate delivery status for customers. You can also use the location-tracking feature to find lost devices easily.
Remotely lock down any enrolled device when it is found unlocked and free. It will prevent unauthorized access to the devices even when they are stolen or lost.
Use the remote wipe or factory reset function of AirDroid Business MDM to remove your company’s data from the devices when they are unable to recover. It will ensure that the data on the devices is unable to be restored and, hence, the company’s data is saved from breaches.
4. Remote centralized management
Use the AirDroid Business MDM’s Centralized dashboard to monitor and control each device activity. Device monitoring will provide you insights into various performance factors so you can easily manage them and ensure timely maintenance.
Monitor the device list, including device online or offline status, network type, battery level, storage space available, device name, and model. You can also take screenshots of the device screen and check device general indicators like battery charging status and device temperature. Centralized management ensures the device’s continuous monitoring and distribution of access to different levels of workers. Create groups and assign access accordingly for better management and monitoring.
5. Security policies setting
AirDroid Business provides high-security features for businesses to comply with various industry standards and secure the data on devices. These features are flexible and customizable so that each business can manage the security specifically. You can apply strong password input policies and multi-factor authentication to safeguard the data.
Restrict USB file transfers so that no one can share confidential data with anyone outside the premises. You can also set alerts to trigger when an external drive is attached to the device.
Use app management, app allowlist, and blocklist features of MDM to restrict unnecessary application usage. Select only business-related apps to run on enterprise devices. Also, restrict employees from the admin console to install or uninstall any app without permission.
Effectively managing Android devices remotely with MDM solutions requires a strategic approach that balances security, productivity, and user experience. Here are some tips to help you optimize your Android device management strategy:
- Choose the Right MDM Solution: Select an MDM solution that aligns with your organization’s specific needs and requirements. Consider factors like device compatibility, feature set, ease of use, and scalability.
- Establish Clear Policies: Define comprehensive policies for device usage, app installation, data security, and remote access. These policies should be communicated clearly to all employees to ensure compliance and minimize risks.
- Simplify Device Enrollment: Streamline the enrollment process for new devices, making it easy for employees to register their devices with the MDM solution. Provide clear instructions and support to ensure smooth onboarding.
- Prioritize App Management: Manage and control the apps installed on corporate devices to ensure security and productivity. Use the MDM solution to deploy approved apps, restrict unauthorized apps, and enforce app updates.
- Enforce Security Measures: Implement robust security measures to protect corporate data and devices. Utilize features like password enforcement, encryption, remote wipe, and geofencing to safeguard sensitive information.
- Monitor Device Usage: Monitor device usage and performance to identify potential issues and optimize resource allocation. Track data usage, battery life, app performance, and device location for proactive management.
- Enable Remote Troubleshooting: Leverage remote troubleshooting capabilities to resolve device issues quickly and efficiently. Use remote access features to diagnose problems, apply updates, and provide technical support.
- Educate and Train Users: Provide regular training and education to employees on device usage policies, security protocols, and MDM features. Encourage responsible device usage and emphasize the importance of data protection.
- Regularly Review and Update Policies: Periodically review and update device management policies to adapt to changing business needs and security threats. Stay informed about new technologies and best practices to maintain a secure and productive mobile environment.
- Seek Expert Advice: Consult with IT professionals and security experts to assess your organization’s specific needs and challenges. Seek guidance on selecting the right MDM solution, implementing effective policies, and managing devices securely and efficiently.
Smart devices have provided incredible support to businesses from every industry. Now, it has become impossible to survive in any business without the installation and utilization of smart devices. However, several problems arise with incorporating smartphones into the business. Unnecessary use of mobile devices by employees directly impacts productivity. Research has revealed that an average of 2 hours is spent by employees every day on extra activities like games or social media. Uncontrolled application and internet usage consumes much data and also open ways for cyber criminals to attack the devices using various malicious techniques.
Businesses need to optimize device usage in offices using MDM. It provides complete control over devices without physically reaching each device. Want to get more tips for remote managing your Android devices? Here to start with a 14-day free trial.