Google Play Services is an important app for Android devices as it takes care of all the official Google apps as well as the apps installed from the Google Play Store. The same service is responsible to sync contacts, emails, calendars, and other data between your Android device and your Google account. There are a lot more that this app takes care of. But if it is outdated then things won’t work well on your smartphone.
Here are the three methods we will recommend you to follow to manually update Google Play Services:
#1. Clear Cache and Data of Google Play Services
Before we begin with the steps, it is important to know here that the cache and data are not the same things, and one needs to be very careful when clearing data of any app as your personal preferences and settings might be lost.
We will recommend you first clear the cache and see if that fixes the update issues. If not then you may proceed with clearing the app data.
Regardless, clearing data of an app is like hitting a reset button on that specific app, which is exactly what helps fix the issue. Here’s how you can do this:
- On your Android device, open Settings.
- Find Apps and tap it.
- In the list of apps, either manually scroll through to find Google Play Services or use the search option to quickly find the app. Once found tap it to access the settings.
- Tap on Storage.
- Here you should be able to see the Clear data and Clear cache buttons.
#2. Uninstall Google Play Services Updates
There have been cases where some latest update to the Google Play Services causes malfunctioning to the app itself. And that’s exactly where this method helps as it completely refreshes the Play Services.
Here is how to uninstall the updates:
- Open Settings on your Android device.
- Go to Apps, search for Google Play Store and tap it.
- Tap on the Uninstall Updates option.
- It may ask you to revert the app to the factory default version. Simply accept.
You can now jump to the next method where we will manually update Google Play Services.
#3. Update Google Play Services from the Play Store
In this method, we are going to guide you on how to manually update Google Play Services using the Google Play Store to get the latest version.
- On your Android device, open this link or use any web browser to search for Google Play Services.
- Whenever prompted, use Google Play to open the Play Store link.
- The popup will open and from there you should be able to see an Update button.
- If found, tap it and the updated version of Google Play Services will begin installing on your device.
Which method helped you update Google Play Services?
We hope the guide above has helped you with manually updating Google Play Services on your Android smartphone and tablet devices. If the tutorial helped you in any way then please share your opinion in the comments down below, we read and respond to each one of them! 🙂
Also, if you know about any other methods to update Play Services that we haven’t included in our guide then let us know about them in the comments. We will have a look at it and might include that in our blog post during the next update.