In This Article
Whether you want to develop an Android app of your own or aim to work professionally as the top Android developer in a reputable company, the resources, and websites reviewed here will help you learn Android development and gain the right knowledge in no time.
The number one thing you need to be proficient at if you are planning to become a developer is the programming language. And for Android, there are two key programming languages i.e. Kotlin and Java you need to learn to become an Android app developer.
Now that you are aware of the potential of Android and how we are dependent on mobile apps, here are the ten best places to learn Android development today to make your dream of becoming a developer a reality.
1. Google Codelabs
Google Codelabs is an official website anyone can use a base to begin their journey as an Android developer here you can find the most basic knowledge with neatly designed tutorials along with a hands-on experience in coding. It’s a lab filled with different courses related to coding and app development.
Similar to how you learn to speak any language, learning a programming language is also about maximum practice and hands-on experience than theoretically reading books. The more you write and code, the quicker and better you learn.
On Codelabs, either you will find an in-depth step-by-step guide that will guide you through building your first Android app or you can use the site to learn how to add a new feature to any of your existing development projects.
Founded by Standford University’s professors, Coursera works with hundreds of organizations, companies, and universities to provide people with free online courses, certifications, and even degree programs in a wide range of subjects including health, IT, business, and personal development.
Using this platform you can not only become a master in a subject of your choice, but you can also gain a new skill set or polish any existing ones using short courses. You can even get a promotion in your current job as Coursera provides a verifiable digital certification.
For Android development, you can find hundreds of relevant courses that are focused on specialization in Java language. One such course is Object Oriented Programming in Java, which is a specialization course, there are over four courses, and you have the freedom to complete them at your own pace.
Udemy works as a platform that connects students from every part of the world to the best instructor to help them reach their goals. This makes the learning platform an international marketplace for not only learners but for teachers as well because if you are an expert in any field then you can prepare and launch your course on Udemy and start earning.
If you search for tutorials on how to develop for Android then you are going to come across several hundred courses ranging from beginners to expert level. And there are many available for free.
Also, as you already know that Android is completely open-source, which means the operating system keeps on evolving so you need to keep learning and continue increasing your knowledge with the latest courses and certifications. This is where Udemy helps you stay ahead of the learning curve.
edX is a not-for-profit online learning website that offers courses to students, globally. The team behind the site has a vision where they want learners from every part of the world to have unparalleled access to education so that everyone can find their true potential without worrying about the cost.
For those of you who are looking to become a mobile app developer, edX has a course named Build Fundamental Programming Skills, which is a foundation-level course that helps you learn the basics of Java for programming along with the knowledge of object-oriented programming (OOP), data structures, and GUIs.
The course consists of three skill-building courses and it is fully self-paced and can take about five months to complete if you can give six hours a week.
Udacity helps you learn all the latest tech and digital skills so that you can advance your career, discover the most effective way to fast-track your skill sets, and earn the skills that can help you land the job of your dream.
On the site, you can find tons of courses ranging from cloud computing, business, and programming to cybersecurity and artificial intelligence. Similar to other platforms, Udacity also offers you self-paced learning. This way you can earn a new skill set while you continue to do your current degree program or a full-time job.
What’s unique about this platform is active learning, which focuses on real-world projects that lead to quick learning and help you gain mastery-level skills. This can ultimately lead you to the way where you can land the job you want. For a more detailed perspective, you might also consider reading an insightful Udacity review.
On Udacity, there is the Android Basics Nanodegree program, which is built in partnership with Google to help Android developers from beginners to intermediate levels and help them become professional Android developers.
Pluralsight is a learning website where all of its courses are offered in a fully video-based learning experience. The website’s homepage has a section where that feature all the most popular topics and skillsets you can gain based on the current trend.
Pluralsight is offering an Android mobile development course, which is based on the Kotlin programming language. This language is actually more efficient than Java as one can develop Android-based apps with fewer coding efforts.
The key goal of this course is to help anyone who has zero knowledge of Kotlin programming language to make them capable enough so they can build useful and interactive Android apps. This is the reason why this course requires no prior experience with Android or Kotlin. In this course, you will learn all the fundamentals of app development.
Simplilearn has gained a lot of popularity because of its short courses and certifications in a wide range of topics, which help you move forward in your career. The website offers many post-graduate programs as well through which you can learn from industry experts and earn certificates presented by some of the world’s leading institutions and universities.
Android developers, who are looking to get themselves a certified tag should opt for Java Certification Training Course, which can help them become a master in developing helpful mobile apps as well as give them a concrete foundation for Java language.
The course offers a free-of-cost self-paced option to help you learn Java online for beginners to advanced levels, to make yourself familiar with the fundamentals of the Java programming language as well as gain expertise.
Vogalla is one of the go-to online places for Android enthusiasts and developers as it is one of the top websites for tutorials on Android apps and development. The site offers tutorials for almost every Android-based development tool and language.
If you are into Android development and programming and looking for an absolutely free platform then you should have a look at their Android tutorials section where they have tutorials on Android development related to features like intent, services, activity, and several other aspects.
The site mainly focuses on the development of the Java programming language so it will be better to have knowledge about Java language before proceeding with the tutorials.
Kodeco was designed and launched to provide the Android development community with programming tutorials for Android based on the recently implemented programming language i.e. Kotlin.
On the site, all the tutorials are written with an aim to enhance the overall skill set and improve knowledge of Android app development among the developers. What’s interesting is that the courses are refreshed with newer content to make sure the users can learn the most up-to-date information that they can start implementing from today.
Starting from the most basic and all the way to the expert level, Raywenderlich will help make the journey of learning a new programming language and Android development relaxed and stress-free.
The website offers you the opportunity to have a real-world experience where you are going to implement what you have learned in the tutorial and make yourself better with practice.
10. The New Boston
The New Boston is actually a YouTube channel made by the developer for the developer where both can meet and form an open-source community with hundreds of well-thought-out videos related to Android development. And the best thing is that all the videos are based on tutorials so that everyone can watch, learn, and implement by following what’s shown in the videos.
The only prerequisite of following this channel is that you just need to have at least a beginner level of knowledge about programming and Java language otherwise you won’t be able to understand even the simplest steps.
And as we already mentioned the channel is designed for developers so there you are going to come across educational videos that are related to other programming languages like Ruby, Python, and Rails.
We humans can read all we want but we are designed to learn best when we apply those learnings in our real life. This is where the CodeGym Java programming course makes the learning of a new programming language easier, even for beginners, as it teaches you how to develop for Android and code from scratch.
The instructors have designed this course with practicality in mind, which is why you are going to find more than 500 hours’ worth of practice coding ranging from beginners to the advanced level.
The best thing is the freedom to learn Java online on CodeGym and that too at a self-learning pace, so you can put how many or how few hours you want, as per your feasibility. And by the end of the course, you will be able to master Java and can easily step into Android development.
Other Resources For Android Developers
- Android Dev YouTube Channel: provide the latest news and useful videos about Android Development.
- Android Developers Blog: The Android Developers Blog is a blog run by Google that provides news and updates about Android development. It is a great resource for staying up-to-date on the latest changes to the Android platform.
- Android Studio Tutorials: Android Studio Tutorials offers a comprehensive tutorial on how to use Android Studio, the official IDE for Android development. It is a great resource for beginners who want to learn how to use Android Studio.
- CodingWithMitch: CodingWithMitch is another YouTube channel that offers a number of video tutorials on Android development. The videos are well-explained and easy to follow, making them a great resource for beginners.
- CodePath: CodePath is a non-profit organization that offers a free online course on Android development. The course is well-structured and covers all the basics of Android development.
- StackOverflow: Stack Overflow is a question-and-answer forum for programmers. It is a great resource for finding answers to specific questions about Android development.
- Reddit Android Dev Sub Reddit: Reddit is a social news website where users can post links, images, and text. There are a number of subreddits dedicated to Android development, which are a great resource for finding information and asking questions.
- Android Weekly: Android Weekly is a newsletter that provides a roundup of the latest news and articles about Android development. It is a great way to stay up-to-date on the latest trends and technologies.
- XDA Developers: XDA Developers is a forum where users can discuss and share information about Android devices and apps. It is a great resource for
Tips on Getting Started With Android App Development
- Start by researching the various online courses available to learn Android App Development. Find out details such as what topics are covered, pricing, and any customer feedback.
- Once a course has been selected, create an account and familiarize yourself with the platform.
- Read through the course objectives and syllabus before starting, so that you have an understanding of what is expected in the course.
- Watch any available introductory videos before starting, these can help to provide a good overview of the subject matter.
- Set aside dedicated time each day to complete tasks in the course – try to make it as close to the same time each day as possible.
- Complete all of the theory work and study materials before attempting any practical activities.
- Reach out to the instructor if you encounter any difficult concepts or have any questions.
- Once all theory lessons are complete, begin going through practical exercises.
- It may help to create a simple Android app to familiarize yourself with the functionality and features.
- Once the course is finished, take the time to review the material and complete any revision tasks.
- Finally, take the time to share any projects you created during the course on an App Store or with family and friends for feedback.
Mobile apps these days have been leading the technology as most of them are designed to help get complex tasks accomplished in the simplest manner. Specifically, Android because it’s one of the most widely adopted mobile operating systems and performs the best in various environments including smartphones, television, and even refrigerators.
Whether it is communication or commuting, shopping, or ordering food, mobile apps are helping us becoming efficient than ever before. We hope the resources reviewed here have helped you in narrowing down your search to become an Android app developer.