In This Article
I can understand your frustration when you want to drop a pin in Google Maps but it just doesn’t work and you can’t figure out how to do it. You might want to save a specific location in your GMaps account or maybe you want to share an exact pin location with your friend for a pickup.
No matter what the reason could be, I have designed a simple yet easy to follow guide that works for a mobile app as well as a desktop browser. It will help you learn how to drop a pin and save a location for quick navigation because a search is not that effective and will not take you to the location as precisely as a pin can.
Without any further ado, let’s get to it.
How to Drop a Pin in Google Maps Mobile App
Here are the steps you need to follow to drop a pin in Google Maps mobile app. And this guide will work on both Android and iPhone devices. First, I will guide you on how to drop a pin using search, and then we will move on to manually drop a pin.
- Open Google Maps on your phone if you haven’t already.
- In the search bar, enter the nearby address or location name where you want to drop a pin. Once entered, tap search, and Maps will take you to the location.
- You can now manually scroll and move around the map to find the exact location where you want to drop a pin. You can use pinch-in/pinch-out gestures to zoom-in/zoom-out.
- Once found, tap and hold on to that area. Within a second, a red pin will automatically appear at that location. Maps will tell you details related to the dropped pin.
- Tap the information box located at the bottom and Maps will show you detailed information about the pin location.
The information section will give you multiple options including directions, save the pin location, share, label, or you can even copy the coordinates (longitude, latitude) to the clipboard.
How to Drop a Pin in Google Maps on a Computer Browser
Whether you are using Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, or any other web browser on any version of Windows, Mac, or Linux to access Google Maps, the following tutorial will work flawlessly and will guide you to drop a pin using a search and then we will manually drop a pin to a nearby location.
- On the web browser of your choice, go to Google Maps’ home page.
- In the search bar, enter the nearby address or the name of a location where you want to drop a pin and hit enter to search. Maps will take you to the searched location and show you a pin as well.
- You can now manually scroll and move around the map to find the exact location where you want to drop a pin. You can use +/- on your keyboard to zoom-in/zoom-out and the cursor keys to move around the map. Similarly, the mouse will work too, you can use drag and drop to move around, and there are zoom-in and zoom-out buttons located at the bottom-right corner.
- Once you have found the location, click on that area and a gray pin icon will be dropped and you will see an information box at the bottom about that location.
- In the information box, tap on the coordinates, and the gray pin icon will transform into a red pin and Maps will show you details regarding the dropped pin location.
You can now use the information box to copy coordinates (longitude, latitude), save the location, send the pin to your phone, and you can even share it with your friends.
I hope the tutorial helped you with learning how to drop a pin in Google Maps. If you are still confused about anything or if you were looking for anything specific but are unable to find it then let us know in the comments below. Someone from our team will be happy to help you.