In This Article
Many Snapchat users are locked out of their accounts from time to time, even when they have not done anything wrong.
And upon logging back in, they are greeted with an error message that says, “Your account has been locked.”
This happens as a precautionary measure as the Snapchat system is designed to flag an account upon detecting any unusual activity automatically. Sometimes the account is temporarily locked, and in some extreme cases, Snapchat puts a permanent lock.
Yes, there are actually two types of Snapchat account locks i.e. permanent and temporary.
To help resolve this issue, we have discussed the methods and the recommended steps that you can follow to unlock your permanently and temporarily locked Snapchat account.
We will also guide you with the steps you can take as a precaution to protect your account from being locked again.
How to Unlock Permanently Locked Snapchat Account?
There is an accounts page within Snapchat; you will be provided with a link to access that page from where you can get your account unlocked.
However, if that page says that your account has been permanently locked, then, unfortunately, there is no way to get it unlocked.
Even the Snapchat support team cannot help you in this scenario. The permanent lock, unluckily, cannot be lifted.
Beware of scamming around unlocking your permanently locked account
As already discussed above, if your Snapchat account has been permanently locked, then no one can get it unlocked. There is a reason why it is called a permanent lock.
But it is important to mention here that there are a lot of scammers out there who are openly promoting Snapchat account unlocking services.
They claim they are hackers or sometimes even say they are employees who can help you regain access to your account by removing the permanent lock.
Sometimes they ask for money, and other times they are willing to do it for free but eventually, they end up requesting you to pay with a gift card.
So it is crucial to keep in mind that one should never share their account details, email address, or password with anyone, even if the account is permanently locked, as this may lead to compromising your other account.
How to Unlock Temporary Locked Snapchat Account?
The temporary lock is easier to be removed; all this requires is a bit of patience and a proper process. Here is what you need to do to reinitiate your account:
- Open the message you have received from Snapchat if there is any. And go to the provided link.
- If you haven’t received any message or in case you don’t have a link, go to this Snapchat accounts page via web browser and enter your login details.
- Alternatively, you can also try logging in to your account via the Snapchat app.
- Once you are there, you need to tap on the Unlock option.
Also, on the same page, Snapchat provides you with the common reasons due to why your account is temporarily locked. It is important to read those and keep them in mind.
Otherwise, your account may possibly become permanently locked if you don’t take precautions.
How to protect your Snapchat Account from being locked?
Believe it or not, Snapchat is strict with its rules.
If they detect any unusual activity, they will flag your account and send you a message notifying you about the problem along with a temporary lock on your account.
Here in this section, we have highlighted things you need to avoid so that you can protect your Snapchat account:
- Usage of Third-Party Apps or Tweaks: If you have installed any third-party app on your phone or are using any tweak, you should uninstall that immediately, as these apps may lead you to your account lockout.
- Sending Lots of Friend Requests: Yes, sending many friend requests in a short time span is considered spam, especially if this is being done on a new account. For added safety, make sure your account is verified.
- Avoid Going Against Community Guidelines: Spamming other users or misleading posts used for manipulation should be avoided. There are clear guidelines that any user is not allowed to imitate the formatting of Snapchat content.
- Unusual Activity: If the Snapchat system detects any unusual activity from your account, then a temporary lock will be automatically imposed to protect your account and your privacy from being compromised.
- Using A Banned Device: Snapchat has the capability to ban devices from accessing the services if an account is found violating community guidelines or terms of service. So creating any new account or accessing any existing account using that device will be locked too.